Monday, February 16, 2009

Bugs in the Latest Nokia N95 8GB Firmware


As they say, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! Being a geek that doesn’t tend to enter my mind when a new firmware for one of my devices comes out.
In my defence, the v20.0.016 firmware for the Nokia N95 8GB added auto-rotate functionality, something I wanted (at the time anyway) since surfing in landscape is great, right up until text needs to entered. Auto-rotating would make it a lot more convenient!

The upgrade went smoothly, and after loading a few apps (Mail for Exchange, Opera Mini, Gmail and Windows Live Messenger) and entering my Exchange settings, my phone was back in business, with the auto-rotate support! But, the firmware seems to have a very irritating bug that makes me wish I hadn’t touched it. While Judie has been fixing problems, I’ve picked up a very irritating one.
At least once a day I have found my N95 8GB resets itself. No warning, no pattern, but at least once each day the phone will reboot. I’ve had it happen several times while I was using my phone, it’s even happened during the middle of a phone call! The screen goes white, and after about 10 seconds or so the Nokia logo appears and the phone begins to boot like normal.
If you have one of these phones, I’d suggest holding off until this issue is corrected.
And by the way, the auto rotate was more annoying than it was useful, so I’ve turned it off. What a pain…

No comments:

Post a Comment